And just to give you an idea of why we decide to do this, here's a before shot:
rain gutter shelves or book ledges, but in the end I thought this one would be easier for us. And let's be honest, I also considered which option my son would be least likely to try climbing on! I wanted something that would be easier than a traditional bookshelf for a toddler to keep neat, and put books away on his own.
If you can sew a (semi) straight line and screw curtain hardware into the wall, you can handle this project. Below are a couple of close ups, that show you what they slings are made of. The tutorial calls for these double curtain rod brackets. I want to say I looked at Home Depot, and couldn't find them, but they were available at Lowe's.
We used dowels that were the length we wanted--5 feet to span under the window in his bedroom. One kind of tricky part was that one of the bracket's holes is smaller than the other, so my husband had to sand down the ends of one of the rods for each sling so that it would fit into the smaller hole. There may be an easier way to deal with this problem, but that is what we did.
I found those little rubber stopper things above (not sure what they're really for, but they were located in a row near the small stuff like knobs and house numbers) when I was buying the supplies, and thought they would make good end caps, so that I didn't have to worry about the rod sliding through the hole if my boy was rough on them. It would be cuter, I'm sure, if you bought some cute knobs to screw into the ends of the dowels.
For each sling I used the bottom of one twin flat sheet (cut to the correct size) and used the rest of that sheet to create one curtain panel. I saved the top part of the sheet to use for the curtain. This way I could use the top seam of the sheet for the bottom of the curtain, saving me some sewing!
I would totally recommend this project if you are looking for some creative book storage! We've had these up for about a year, and they have been fantastic!